Carol Platt Liebau: Selective Immigration Outrage

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Selective Immigration Outrage

Extremist, bigoted anti-immigration behavior is never acceptable. But "discussions" like this one by Ruben Navarette are, frankly, getting old.

It seems to me that Americans should be allowed to have strong opinions about the problems spawned by illegal immigration without being presumptively deemed racist or intolerant. And Navarette's argument -- that there would be no illegal immigration without employers to hire the illegal aliens -- is simply wrong.

Of course, many illegal immigrants come to this country seeking nothing more than a job; others, however, come looking for health benefits and other government subsidies. Given the hopelessness of their lot in some other countries, their desperation is understandable, but that doesn't make it any less burdensome (here is a piece I wrote on this topic and its political ramifications).

Nor is Latino/Hispanic opinion monolithic.

At any rate, Navarette's outrage is a bit selective. Where is his indignation about this travesty? As long as injustice like this is perpetuated, people will be angry . . . and -- at least about a brave Texan Marine who served overseas being denied "in state tuition" offered to illegal immigrants -- rightly so.

1 Comments:

Blogger Poison Pero said...

I admit to being a radical when it comes to immigration policy.

I live in Phoenix, AZ...By the way.

I work in the health care field, and have seen what uncontrolled immigration has done to our hospitals, and health care in general.

I also have a daughter in the public school system......There has been at least 1 non-English speaking child in her classroom every year she's been in school.

I have no problem with these children, but do have a problem with the amount of time they take away from the rest of the children.......The teachers in my child's school claim they spend at least 10% of their day repeating their instruction to these children.

That's 10% less for the other kids in the class..........And they are dealing with this on a constant daily basis.
--------------
I admit I'm sick of it. And I'm sick of the excuses from both parties.

Show me a system that will work and I say do it.......But I wish they'd both cut the lip-service, and posturing.

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google