Carol Platt Liebau: Slob Culture

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Slob Culture

Read this op/ed and weep. Its author wants more "casual" dress for symphony patrons and musicians alike.

Don't get me wrong. I love my fleecies and sweatpants as much as anyone. But there is a time and a place. If comfort and individuality are all that matter, then why shouldn't we feel free to go grocery shopping in our funny old Lanz nightgowns, if we feel like it? The bottom line is that there ought to be a sense of propriety, and that people shouldn't run around looking sloppy (although I'll confess that I do so occasionally, to my shame).

Time was that people dressed nicely to ride on airplanes. Now the airport looks like the bus terminal. This writer seems to want people to be able to go the symphony dressed as if they're off to the movies. Trust me -- it won't "popularize" the symphony, it will debase it (along with the rest of our culture).

When did it become so burdensome to put on a tie -- or a skirt, for that matter?

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt Brinkman said...

Carol, I've heard the airplane example before and I think it is a little weak. (The reason that airports look more like bus terminals today is because it wasn't until after air line deregulation that the hoi polloi could afford to fly.)

That said, I agree with your general premise. Some experiences are enhanced by dressing up for them. Theater should be included here in addition to the symphony. There are also cases where one should dress up out of respect--church would be on my list here.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google