Carol Platt Liebau: Squeaky Wheels Get the Grease

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Squeaky Wheels Get the Grease

Jaundiced amusement can really be the only proper reaction to stories like this one, where those who wish to observe Christmas in the public square are being treated like provocateurs.

For years, atheists and non-believers have tried to foist a falsehood on society -- that, somehow, it is deeply "offensive" for those who are not practicing Christians to have to encounter anything that reminds them that some (in fact, the overwhelming majority) are celebrating a religious holiday.

Now some pushback has come from the other side. And it's about time. It's wrong to send a message to children, and to society generally, that religion is something that should be kept exclusively "private" -- like undressing or going to the bathroom.

Public expressions of other faiths don't bother me -- menorahs and dreidls and all the rest are welcome, as far as I'm concerned. What bothers me is the sanitized, a-religious reality that some militant non-believers have tried to force on America, which is, after all, a nation founded on religious principles.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Flomblog said...

As a Jew, I find myself incensed at the movement to quiet Christianity.

It is due to Christian America that I can practice my faith as freely as i do. In no other place, at no other time has this been possible - And, sadly I include Israel in that statement.

So to my Christian friends I freely say

Merry Christmas and Happy New Yearr

B'sholom (In peace)

9:20 AM  
Blogger stackja1945 said...

Scoorge needed to learn from his ghosts. Tiny Tim said Merry Christmas and Scoorge had learnt.

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google