Carol Platt Liebau: Giuliani Jumps In

Monday, November 13, 2006

Giuliani Jumps In

So John McCain isn't alone -- Rudy Giuliani has taken the first legal step to enable him to run for President.

Welcome to him -- as this blog's readers know, my hopes for Giuliani are high. What's going to matter most is whether he's able to find a way to overcome his differences with social conservatives when it comes to the most important social issues. If he can, he'd be a formidable presidential candidate.

In any case, he compares extremely well to John McCain. During his tenure as Mayor of New York, Rudy Giuliani showed that he, like President Reagan, has the guts and tenacity to be impervious to the press and elite opinion in the pursuit of the policies he believes to be right. Would that McCain showed any traces of the same quality.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Flomblog said...

Oops - I think I posted on the wrong entry. Old-timers diease, I guess

7:27 PM  
Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

Here's a social conservative who'd have no problem voting for Rudy. I guess the last shellacking we took is making me a social-conservative-pragmatist.

I like what I've seen of Mitt Romney, too, but I have a challenge with his religion.

4:48 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Go Guliani!

I've been for him all along.

McCain is so sad. Rather than being bold and principled, he has been sneaky and self serving - the epitome of the sleazy politician. And let's not forget his egocentric power grab formation of the "Gang of 14" scuttled some of President Bush's judicial appointments.

To me McCain is unacceptable as a Republican nominee.

I do greatly appreciate his steadfast support for the war, however. But you know what, that should be the baseline not something to highlight. Every politician in America should have been supporting the war all along.

Having said all that, I would still vote for McCain in the general election if he were to win the party's nomination simply because of his stated support for the war. The war has been and still is, in my mind, the single most important issue of our time.

In a (hopefully) momentary lapse of judgement, due to a well-deserved protest mood against Republicans in Congress, we've put the children in charge of Congress. We simply cannot allow the children to be in charge of our military and foreign policy.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Marshal Art said...

I can't think of a single Dem for whom I would cast a vote for POTUS (assuming the usual suspects). Thus if either McCain or Rudy were the GOP nominee, well, I'd have to bite the bullet. Don't much care for either at this point. Worse, I haven't seen anybody that thrills me yet from the GOP side who's a current consideration. I'd like to see a true conservative step out and step up. I don't want to compromise on conservative principles anymore. No half-breeds for me.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google