Carol Platt Liebau: Sex: Just Like a Good Game of Tennis?

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Sex: Just Like a Good Game of Tennis?

This piece discusses the coarsening of teen culture -- and the extent to which it's sending the message that sex is simply another recreational activity.

This issue has been a matter of particular concern to me . . . especially the impact of the oversexualized culture on girls between the ages of 12 and 17. In fact, it's the topic of my book, forthcoming in September from Center Street and tentatively titled, "Prude: How the Death of Chastity Hurts Young Women (and America, Too!)"

1 Comments:

Blogger Marshal Art said...

It's as much a concern for me as well, Carol, with an 11yr old daughter to consider. Also, my job takes me into schools, elementary, middle and high schools, where I witness first hand the influence of our culture on girls. It's troubling to say the least. I have a hard time listening to statistics about falling teen pregnancy rates while I wonder how they are defining pregnancy. The concept of "safe sex" no doubt makes it easier in their minds to say "yes" to the advances of boys. The less than 100% effectiveness of birth control sets the up further for bearing the downside of their decisions. And of course, once they are in their teens, they believe they have the maturity to determine when and how the should engage in sex. It scares the hell out of THIS father even though her much older half-sisters got through it OK.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google