Carol Platt Liebau: It's the Authenticity, Stupid

Sunday, April 22, 2007

It's the Authenticity, Stupid

Odds are that Hillary Clinton will win the Democratic nomination -- but it won't be a cakewalk, thanks to Barack Obama.

What's the root of her problem? An apparent lack of authenticity, evidenced by her "southern fried drawl" that's trotted out for southern or African American audiences. It sounds ridiculous, it sounds condescending, and it undercuts the image of stability, authority and leadership that any successful presidential candidate -- especially a woman -- must demonstrate.

What's more, I am a woman -- and I'm already tired of Hillary talking (as she does in the linked clip above) of how "proud" she is to be a woman running for president. "Proud"? Is one's gender, combined with the fact that one happens to be running for the nation's highest office, a matter of "pride"? And if so, how?

2 Comments:

Blogger The Flomblog said...

I was talking to a delightful 70ish lady the other day. When I said that I could not support Hillary C. I was attacked (verbally) as an Anti-Female protohomanid.
I was told "Don't you think that it's time for a woman to be elected President. The Lady refused to admit that I find the Person, not her gender offensive.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I actually thought she sounded better in that clip than she normally does. But, then again, I'm a hillbilly myself!

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google