Carol Platt Liebau: Thompson's Coming In

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Thompson's Coming In

So it appears that Fred Thompson will be entering the presidential race.

On the one hand, to the extent that he sharpens up the field, thereby helping the best candidate to emerge, it's a good thing. But it strikes me that there is a lot of mass delusion among Republicans who seem to think that, because he's got an appealing, folksy manner and a lot of gravitas, Fred Thompson is the answer to conservatives' prayers.

For me to become a Thompson supporter, I would need to be convinced that his cancer isn't in any danger of returning, and so far, we have heard very little from doctors or others about his prognosis. It's an unpleasant topic, but anyone who thinks the Democrats wouldn't exploit it is hopelessly naive.

Second, I'd like to hear his thoughts on McCain-Feingold, which he supported. Does he regret that decision, and why/why not? How articulately does he defend his position?

More than anything, I want to see him just get into the mix, and start having to mix it up with the other candidates -- and the press -- just to see how he takes it. The upcoming campaign will be a brutal one for the Republican candidate, and I want to be sure that whomever Republicans nominate can take, and land, punches with elan and good humor. Thompson looks just fine now, but so does every car until it's driven off the lot . . .

In other words, a big question in my mind is does Fred Thompson really want to be president, and is he willing to do what it takes to get there -- not just in the primaries, but most importantly, in the general election?

2 Comments:

Blogger stackja1945 said...

I heard Fred Thompson on the radio when he was a Senator. I liked what I heard. I have seen him in some of his movies. Like John Wayne played John Wayne, Fred Thompson played Fred Thompson. So let the battle begin.

8:26 PM  
Blogger The Flomblog said...

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy. We have some excellent candidates, it's going to be fun!

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google